The Bookkeeping Company has partnered with the USS Ranger Foundation in an exciting community project that will positively impact the whole region and there is opportunity for everyone to get involved.
How much do you know about the efforts to bring the retired supercarrier USS Ranger to the Chinook Landing Marine Park area on the Columbia in Fairview, Oregon? Here are the highlights:
A Community Heritage Center will be created that will serve not only East County but the states of Oregon and Washington and include:
- Educational and Vocational Training Opportunities
- Museum for all Branches of the Service
- Memorial for all Veterans
- Civic and Convention Space for All
- Economic Development for the Region
- Emergency Preparedness Site for Disasters
This project is well on it’s way to a scheduled opening in 2015 and will bring an estimated 350,000 visitors to the ship, with an expected impact of 46 million dollars a year into the local economy and over 500 direct and indirect jobs.
Support has been fantastic: all local cities (including Portland and Vancouver), Senator Merkley, Congressman Blumenauer, Senator Wu, the Oregon State Legislature just passed a joint resolution in support, Clackamas County, Multnomah County Commissioner Diane McKeel, Business Organizations, Tourist Organizations, Veterans Groups and many, many individuals. It’s hard to find a project of this size that has this much broad support.
For more information on the project, visit the website at http://www.USSRanger.org. The Project Overview can be found on the lower right hand side of the Home Page.
There are many ways to get involved in this exciting project!
- Contact Ron Witherup, Volunteer Coordinator at Ron.Witherup@USSRanger.org. There are opportunities to help at summer festivals, hand out flyers, get your businesses involved, help in the store and more!
- Stay posted on our progress. Join one or more of our social media sites:
- To find out more about getting involved, contact Shannon at Shannon.Chisom@USSRanger.org or call 503.750.3785.